At plumbingandlightingfixures.com we like to recommend 16 gauge sinks over 18 gauge. It is as simple as that. Especially when talking with granite counter top people and customers about kitchen sinks for granite countertops. I came to this decision a couple of years ago when I watched a Schon SC3320 (now Belle Foret BF3320) being installed in a granite countertop. The strength ad rigidity of the 16 gauge stainless steel undermount sink was impressive, but most impressive where the constant comments from the granite man doing the job! Like “awesome sink” and OMG this thing is heavy”.
Since then we have added several more lines of 16 gauge sinks, besides the Belle Foret models, from various manufacturers. These manufacturers include, Artisan Manufacturing Corp, Elkay (famous for the Elkay Avado undermount sink), Whitehaus and Kohler Plumbing.
Out of all of the 16 Gauge sinks we offer we are particularly existed about the Artisan Sinks. Artisan sinks have a brushed finish. Brushing is done from front to back. This will accentuate the beauty and detail of the sink. The finish is designed to match your everyday stainless steel appliances and aid in ease of cleaning. Artisan 16 gauge sinks are stamped out of a single piece of 304 stainless steel assures even thickness from the bottom to the top INCLUDING THE MOUNTING FLANGE. Best of all Artisan 16 Gauge sinks at plumbingandlightingfixtures.com are easy on the pocket book! Artisan Manufacturing as priced these sinks to be competitive in the market place making them one of the most popular sinks on the market today. This is why you will see many of the Artisan sinks on plumbingandlightingfixtures.com marked as best sellers!
Advantages of a 16 gauge stainless steel undermount sink:
- 16 Gauge 304 stainless steel sink
- Sound Deadening Undercoating or Pads (not Belle Foret)
- Most have 18/10 chromium-nickel content
- Extremely durable and scratch resistant
- 16 Gauge Kitchen Sinks are 20% stronger than 18 gauge
- 16 gauge stainless steel is noticeably quieter, especially when a garbage disposal is used in the sink.
What is sink Gauge?
- For those who ask “What is sink Gauge?”
- The gauge is the thickness of the metal. The lower the number of the gauge, the thicker the metal. Therefore in the sink business, 16 gauge is heavy duty, 18 gauge is standard (for most manufacturers) and 20 Gauge is good, but for lighter duty applications.
Gauge in Decimals on an Inch
- 20 Gauge = 0.0375
- 18 Gauge = 0.0500
- 16 Gauge = 0.0625
- Sink Gauge only applies to metal sinks. (Stainless Steel, Copper and Brass)